Engagement

Engagement

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Psalm 139 "Too Wonderful For Me"

Psalm 139
Author: David

1. God is All-Seeing (verses 1-6)
2. God is All-Present (verses 7-10)
3. God is All-Powerful (verses 11-12)
4. God is All-Creative (verses 13-18)
5. God is All-Holy verses (19-24)

We have a God who is worthy of wonder! Any primitive thoughts we might have toward God are transcended by the reality of Him. We cannot grasp it. And yet, He remains intensely personal and gives intimate concern for each individual. This is a wonder in itself.

1 You have searched me, Lord,
and you know me.
2 You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar.
3 You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways.
4 Before a word is on my tongue
you, Lord, know it completely.
5 You hem me in behind and before,
and you lay your hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too lofty for me to attain.
God knows us thoroughly, He knows our thoughts before we do. There is nothing about us that is hidden. We may be able to put on a show for others - but not God. We can be comforted knowing that even though He knows us better than anyone, He still loves us. And there may be times we are ashamed because He does know our hearts. Talk to Him and pray to Him as your Father - not some distant, far off being that doesn't know you or doesn't listen or care about you. 

7 Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,
10 even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.
11 If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me
and the light become night around me,”
12 even the darkness will not be dark to you;
the night will shine like the day,
for darkness is as light to you.
God is onmipresent - He is everywhere. This reminds us that we can never be separated or lost from Him. Trials and tribulations may come, but there is never a question of His presence or hand upon us. Even in the darkest of our days, His light will shine through.

13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place,
when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
all the days ordained for me were written in your book
before one of them came to be.
17 How precious to me are your thoughts, God!
How vast is the sum of them!
18 Were I to count them,
they would outnumber the grains of sand—
when I awake, I am still with you.
My favorite :) God created us - He picked every hair upon our head. When I think of the joy and beauty of the birth of a child - your sweet children, I come to this verse. I have heard countless times from new parents that they can't possibly imagine someone not believing in God when they go through 9 months of pregnancy and childbirth. What a miracle and what an amazing experience for us to have. I used to pray to witness a miracle and realized when I see a new baby, I am seeing a miracle.

19 If only you, God, would slay the wicked!
Away from me, you who are bloodthirsty!
20 They speak of you with evil intent;
your adversaries misuse your name.
21 Do I not hate those who hate you, Lord,
and abhor those who are in rebellion against you?
22 I have nothing but hatred for them;
I count them my enemies.
This part of the passage is David's hatred for his enemies because of his love and devotion to the Lord. David regarded his enemies as God's enemies, so his hatred was a desire for God's righteous justice and not for personal vengeance. We must remember it is God who will deal with them, not us. Pray for those who don't know God. 

23 Search me, God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.
24 See if there is any offensive way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting.
David is asking God to search his heart and thoughts and if there is anything not pleasing to Him, to point that out. Ask the Lord to search your heart and point out the ways that you are not glorifying Him. What a great way to end a prayer each day.

I tried to post a video in my previous post and it wouldn't open in the mobile version. So, I am going to try to just post a link for you to open this video. It is a song by Gateway worship called Psalm 139. Beautiful song about this passage. Take a listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pkKoCaz8_E

No comments:

Post a Comment